Breaking Bad (habits)
A fresh start…
- Avoid overindulging in food, spending, alcohol, sleep (a little self discipline goes a long way)
- Not listening to others. (active listening is one of the kindest interpersonal acts)
- Gossip (best to only speak kind words and avoid what is not your business)
- Digital technology overload (give your eyes and your spirit a break)
- Complaining (please swipe image above for a fuller perspective)
- Being wasteful of time/money/natural resources (we have one life and one planet. we should all do our best)
- Being mentally lazy (a mind is a terrible thing to waste)
Way to be…
- Set an intention for; the day, the week, the year
- Set goals (fascinating fact: people who write down their goals are 42% more likely to achieve them)
- Learn healthy deep breathing techniques. Incorporate them into your day (while driving, before bed, etc.)
- Try something for the first time (get out of your comfort zone)
- Shift your perspective. Are you asking what have I been given? What am I getting? What do I want? Instead ask: How can I help others? What can I give? What do they need?
- Use good manners (please and thank you are always a good start)
- Practice self-love; eat clean, drink more water, get good sleep, exercise, read more
How To Be Less Wasteful
Starts with awareness…
- Plastic: Drink from glass. Avoid single use plastic. Bring reusable bags to shop.
- Food: Only buy what is essential from the foodstore. Compost. Prepare meals exclusively from items in your pantry and/or freezer.
- Water: Don’t leave water running. Take shorter showers. Use the spray nozzle on faucet for rinsing dishes.
- Time: Go on a social media diet. Answer emails in blocks of time. Have a routine for getting out the door. Pay bills online.
- Money: Make coffee at home. Use only no fee atm’s. Bring your own water (in a eco friendly container) out to lunch/dinner.
- Clothing: Buy good essentials and only buy what you need, Offer hand me downs. Donate items no longer being used to charity.
Celebrate New Beginnings
And raise a glass…
- Have a blast on New Years Eve! (and New Years Day!)
- Give someone an unexpected kiss at midnight
- Make a toast to “all good things”
- Start a tradition: Spend 5 minutes on New Years Day writing the most significant events in your life over the past year. You’ll be surprised over how full your life really is
New Year, New Look
- Buy a piece of ART! (Todd James above!)
- Brighten your home with fresh flowers
- Get a new haircut, color. Wear a new style
- Try a new lipstick color
- Work a fashion trend (think sustainable)
- Buy a new pair of glasses
- Invest in a great blazer (the easiest way to look sharp)
The best years always involve helping the most vulnerable.… We’re looking at a few world class organizations helping the planets most magnificent animals. Please visit their sites and follow their social platforms. You’ll be inspired and amazed over the impact their dedication and work has on our planet and the animal kingdom at large.
Wildlife Conservation Society
WCS saves wildlife and wild places worldwide through science, conservation action, education, and inspiring people to value nature.
Sheldrick Wildlife Trust
The Sheldrick Wildlife Trust exists to protect Africa’s wildlife and to preserve habitats for the future of all wild species…
please consider donating.
Basically Beautiful wishes you great joy and love in the New Year.
(posted: December 2019)